Ann. Limnol. - Int. J. Lim.
Volume 47, 2011River ecosystem health assessment: the value in the management and restoration
|Page(s)||S35 - S49|
|Published online||08 July 2011|
- Anderson N.H. and Sedell J.R., 1979. Detritus processing by macroinvertebrates in stream ecosystems. Annu. Rev. Entomol., 24, 351–377. [CrossRef]
- APHA, 2001. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, American Public Health Association, 21st edn., APH-AWW-WEF, Washington, DC.
- Barbour M.T., Gerritsen J., Snyder B.D. and Stribling J.B., 1999. Rapid bioassessment protocols for use in streams and wadeable rivers: periphyton, benthic macroinvertebrates, and fish, 2nd edn., EPA 841-B-99-002, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water, Washington, DC.
- Bilotta G.S. and Brazier R.E., 2008. Understanding the influence of suspended solids on water quality and aquatic biota. Water Res., 42, 2849–2861. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Bojsen B.H. and Jacobsen D., 2003. Effects of deforestation on macroinvertebrate diversity and assemblage structure in Ecuadorian Amazon streams. Arch. Hydrobiol., 158, 317–342. [CrossRef]
- Brierley G.J. and Fryirs K.A., 2005. Geomorphology and river management: applications of the river styles framework, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK, 398 p.
- Broekhuizen N., Parkyn S. and Miller D., 2001. Fine sediment effects on feeding and growth in the invertebrate grazers Potamopyrgus antipodarum (Gastropoda, Hydrobiidae) and Dealeatidium sp. (Ephemeroptera, Leptophlebiidae). Hydrobiologia, 457, 125–132. [CrossRef]
- Chutter F.M., 1969. The effects of silt and sand on the invertebrate fauna of streams and rivers. Hydrobiologia, 34, 57–76. [CrossRef]
- Cooper C.M., 1993. Biological effects of agriculturally derived surface water pollutants on aquatic systems – a review. J. Environ. Qual., 22, 402–408. [CrossRef]
- Correll D.L., Jordan T.E. and Weller D.E., 1999. Precipitation effects on sediment and associated nutrient discharges from Rhode River watersheds. J. Environ. Qual., 28, 1897–1907. [CrossRef]
- Crétaz A.L. and Barten P.K., 2007. Land use effects on streamflow and water quality in the northeastern United States, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 319 p.
- Cummins K.W., 1962. An evaluation of some techniques for the collection and analysis of benthic samples with special emphasis on lotic waters. Am. Midl. Nat., 67, 477–504. [CrossRef]
- Delong M.D. and Brusven M.A., 1998. Macroinvertebrate community structure along the longitudinal gradient of an agriculturally impacted stream. Environ. Manage., 22, 445–457. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- DIN 38410, 1990. Part 2, Biological-ecological analysis of water (group M); determination of the saprobic index (M2), German standard methods for the examination of water, waste water, and sludge.
- Halwas K. and Church M., 2002. Channel units in small, high gradient streams on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Geomorphology, 43, 243–256. [CrossRef]
- Harding J.S., Young R.G., Hayes J.W., Shearer K.A. and Stark J.D., 1999. Changes in agricultural intensity and river health along a river continuum. Freshwater Biol., 42, 345–357. [CrossRef]
- Karr J.R., Fausch K.D., Angermeier P.L., Yant P.R. and Schlosser I.J., 1986. Assessing biological integrity in running waters: a method and its rationale. Special Publication 5, Illinois Natural History Survey, Champaign, IL.
- Kerans B.L. and Karr J.R., 1994. A benthic index of biotic integrity (BIBI) for rivers of the Tennessee valley. Ecol. Appl., 4, 768–785. [CrossRef]
- KMA, 2009. The meteorological yearbook in Korea, Korea Meteorological Administration (in Korean).
- Kwon O.K., Min D.K., Lee J.R., Lee J.S., Je J.G. and Choe B.L., 2001. Korean mollusks with color illustration, Hanguel Publishing Company, Seoul, 332 p. (in Korean).
- Lemly D.A., 1982. Modification of benthic insect communities in polluted streams: combined effects of sedimentation and nutrient enrichment. Hydrobiologia, 87, 229–245. [CrossRef]
- Lorion C.M. and Kennedy B.P., 2009. Relationships between deforestation, riparian forest buffers and benthic macroinvertebrates in neotropical headwater streams. Freshwater Biol., 54, 165–180. [CrossRef]
- MacKay R.J. and Wiggins G.B., 1979. Ecological diversity in Trichoptera. Ann. Rev. Entomol., 24, 185–208. [CrossRef]
- MAF, 2007. Development of environment-friendly erosion control techniques for ecosystem conservation in torrent, The Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Korea (in Korean).
- Margalef R., 1958. Information theory in ecology. Gen. Syst., 3, 36–71.
- McCafferty W.P., 1981. Aquatic entomology, Jones and Bartlett Inc., Boston, 448 p.
- McCune B. and Mefford M.J., 1999. Multivariate analysis of ecological data (Version 4.25), MjM Software, Gleneden Beach, OR.
- Merritt R.W. and Cummins K.W., 1996. An introduction to the aquatic insects of North America, 3rd edn., Kendall/Hunt Publishing, Dubuque, IA.
- Minshall G.W., 1984. Aquatic insect-substratum relationships. In: Resh V.H. and Rosenberg D.M. (eds.), The Ecology of Aquatic Insects, Praeger, New York, 358–400.
- Miserendino N.L. and Pizzolon L.A., 2004. Interactive effects of basin features and land-use change on macroinvertebrate communities of headwater streams in the Patagonian Andes. River Res. Appl., 20, 967–983. [CrossRef]
- MOE, 2000. The second guidelines for nation-wide natural environment survey in Korea, The Ministry of Environment, Korea (in Korean).
- MOE, 2007. The management plan for non-point source pollution in the watershed of Lake Doam, The Ministry of Environment, Korea, 18 p. (in Korean).
- MOE/HERC, 2010. Survey on the environment and ecosystem of lakes in the Han River system, The Ministry of Environment/Han River Environment Research Center, Korea (in Korean).
- MOE/NIER, 2006. Study on development of methods for synthetic assessment of water environment (III) – survey and evaluation of aquatic ecosystem health, The Ministry of Environment/National Institute of Environmental Research, Korea (in Korean).
- MOE/NIER, 2008. Survey and evaluation of aquatic ecosystem health in Korea, The Ministry of Environment/National Institute of Environmental Research, Korea (in Korean).
- Osborne L.L. and Kovacic D.A., 1993. Riparian vegetated buffer strips in water-quality restoration and stream management. Freshwater Biol., 29, 243–258. [CrossRef]
- Quinn J.M. and Stroud M.J., 2002. Water quality and sediment and nutrient export from New Zealand hill-land catchments of contrasting land use. N. Z. J. Mar. Freshwater Res., 36, 409–429. [CrossRef]
- Quinn J.M., Davies-Colley R.J., Hickey C.W., Vickers M.L. and Ryan P.A., 1992. Effects of clay discharges on streams. Hydrobiologia, 248, 235–247. [CrossRef]
- Rabeni C.F., Doisy K.E. and Zweig L.D., 2005. Stream invertebrate community functional responses to deposited sediment. Aquat. Sci., 67, 395–402.
- Rempel L.L. and Church M., 2009. Physical and ecological response to disturbance by gravel mining in a large alluvial river. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 66, 52–71. [CrossRef]
- Rier S.T. and King D.K., 1996. Effects of inorganic sedimentation and riparian clearing on benthic community metabolism in an agriculturally-disturbed stream. Hydrobiologia, 339, 111–121. [CrossRef]
- Rosenberg D.M. and Resh V.H., 1993. Freshwater Biomonitoring and Benthic Macroinvertebrates, Chapman and Hall, New York, 488 p.
- Ryan P.A., 1991. Environmental effects of sediment on New Zealand streams: a review. N. Z. J. Mar. Freshwater Res., 25, 207–221. [CrossRef]
- Shannon C.E. and Weaver W., 1949. The Mathematical Theory of Communication, University of Illinois Press, Urbana, IL.
- Smith D.G., 2001. Pennak's Freshwater Invertebrates of the United States – Porifera to Crustacea, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 638 p.
- StatSoft Inc., 2004. STATISTICA (data analysis software system), Version 7, http://www.statsoft.com.
- Stewart J.S., Wang L., John L., Horwatich J.A. and Bannerman R., 2001. Influence of watershed, riparian-corridor, and reach-scale characteristics on aquatic biota in agricultural watersheds. J. Am. Water Resour. Assoc., 37, 1475–1487. [CrossRef]
- Suren A.M. and Jowett I.G., 2001. Effects of deposited sediment on invertebrate drift: an experimental study. N. Z. J. Mar. Freshwater Res., 35, 725–737. [CrossRef]
- Sweeney B.W., 1993. Effects of streamside vegetation on macroinvertebrate communities of White Clay Creek in eastern North America. Proc. Acad. Natl. Sci. Phila., 144, 291–340.
- Ulrich K.E., Burton T.M. and Oemke M.P., 1993. Effects of whole-tree harvest on epilithic algal communities in headwater stream. J. Freshwater Ecol., 8, 83–92. [CrossRef]
- Vaithiyanathan P. and Correll D.L., 1992. The Rhode River watershed: phosphorus distribution and export in forest and agricultural soils. J. Environ. Qual., 21, 280–288. [CrossRef]
- Vannote R.L., Minshall G.W., Cummins K.W., Sedell J.R. and Cushing C.E., 1980. The river continuum concept. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 37, 130–137. [CrossRef]
- Waters T.F., 1995. Sediment in streams: sources, biological effects and control, American Fisheries Society Monograph 7, American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD.
- Williams D.D. and Mundie J.H., 1978. Substrate size selection by stream invertebrates and the influence of sand. Limnol. Oceanogr., 23, 1030–1033. [CrossRef]
- Won D.H., Kwon S.J. and Jun Y.C., 2005. Aquatic insects of Korea, Korea Ecosystem Service Publishing Company, Seoul, Korea (in Korean).
- Won D.H., Jun Y.C., Kwon S.J., Hwang S.J., Ahn K.G. and Lee J.K., 2006. Development of Korean Saprobic Index using benthic macroinvertebrates and its application to biological stream environment assessment. J. Korean Soc. Water Qual., 22, 768–783 (in Korean).
- Wood P.J. and Armitage P.D., 1997. Biological effects of fine sediment in the lotic environment. Environ. Manage., 21, 203–217. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Yoon I.B., 1995. An illustration of aquatic insects in Korea, Jeonghaengsa Publishing Company, Seoul, Korea (in Korean).
- Zelinka M. and Marvan P., 1961. Zur präzisierung der biologische klassifikation der reinheit fliessender gewässer. Arch. Hydrobiol., 57, 389–407.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.